K9 Monument Fundraiser
November 3, 2012 @ 12:00 pm – November 4, 2012 @ 12:00 am
Arlington Animal Services Center
1000 Southeast Green Oaks Boulevard
Donations welcomed, see details below
Citizens of Arlington raise money for K9 Memorial to honor police and fire service dogs who have provided distinguished service to the community
As a tribute to the City of Arlington police and fire service dogs that provide devoted and loyal service protecting our community, the citizens of Arlington wanted to construct a monument honoring retired and deceased public safety K9′s. “This was a citizen-initiated project from the very beginning,” said Sgt. Christopher Cook of the Arlington Police Department. “They reached out to see what they could do by raising money and choosing a location that is frequented by animal lovers,” according to Cook.
The bronze memorial depicting a Police and Fire Service K9, is expected to cost approximately $100,000. Donations will help fund this project to honor the lives of our public service K9 heroes. The monument will be located between the Arlington Animal Services Center and the Tails ‘N Trails dog park, located at 1000 S.E. Green Oaks Boulevard. This location will be frequented by the public and dog lovers alike.
A special event is planned to help raise funds for this monument. Details of the event are provided below.
Who: Arlington citizens are raising money to honor retired and deceased service K9′s from police and fire who were dedicated to saving lives’ and protecting our community.
What: A special event with opportunities to donate to the K9 memorial and enjoy some family fun!
When: Saturday, November 3, from 12 noon to 12 midnight
Where: Arlington Animal Services Center, at 1000 S.E. Green Oaks Boulevard, 76018
Join us for an action packed day. Please note a few of these family friendly activities will kick-off prior to 12 noon:
- Silent auction including an authentic autographed jersey from Dirk Nowitzki
Animal care classes:
- Attend an informative class about pet parasites taught by Dr. Chris Jenkins, local veterinarian with Creature Comfort at 9 a.m.
- Meet Dexter, and learn about “Having a Pet in Arlington” at 11:15 a.m.
- Foster Pet Care Orientation at 5 p.m.
Special pet adoption rates at designated times
- Attend a pet therapy session and meet Leroy Brown and Deacon. Senior citizens (ages 60 and up) may adopt a pet for half price between 10 a.m. – 12 noon.
- Meet “Boomer” the canine that has met the troops. Active duty and retired military service staff may adopt a pet for half price between 4 p.m. – 6 p.m.
- Wear paw-jama’s and adopt a dog or cat for half price between 8 p.m. – 10 p.m.
- Low-cost pet vaccinations will be offered by Community Outreach between 12 noon – 5 p.m.
- Book signing event, “Under His Helmet” by esteemed author Melanie Garrett between 12 noon – 3 p.m. Cash only, with 40% of profits donated to the service canine monument project
- Meet Turtle The Painting Pit Bull at 11 a.m.
- Handcrafted treasures for pets by Golden PAWS senior volunteers available with your donations between 12 p.m. – 6 p.m.
- Visit with “Katnip the Clown“ who will be creating balloons for children from 2 p.m. – 6 p.m.
- Don’t miss the doggie kissing booth between 2 p.m. – 8 p.m.
- Fabulous face painting by local Girl Scouts
Members of the Arlington Police and Fire department will be present during the event to connect with residents and visitors.
Cannot attend? Donate online! http://arlingtonwebstore.com/CanineMonumentDonations.aspx
For more information, contact Arlington Animal Services at 817-459-5898